Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 01:33:45 -0700
From:      "Jason Nordwick" <nordwick@xcf.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Gilad Rom" <rom_glsa@ein-hashofet.co.il>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Graphical Desktop for FreeBSD.

From: Gilad Rom <rom_glsa@ein-hashofet.co.il>

>Hi,
>
>In the past couple of weeks i have been working on a little
>project that serves as a graphical front end to pkg_create,
>For the FreeBSD X contest, To make it a little easier for
>people to create themes for that contest.
>
>It is based on GTK+, A very nice GUI toolkit for X,
>And I was thinking about a more extensive project,
>Like a set of graphical tools/front ends to the various
>FreeBSD - Specific tools, like CVSup or PPP.
>
>Since the X Contest aims to bring a Default Desktop to the
>basic FreeBSD installation, as in Installing X with a Default
>Configuration, not with twm as default, It would be nice
>to include other easy to use, graphical applications
>that will share a constant look and feel and will make
>newbies alot more comfortable with FreeBSD. Sure, this idea
>isnt new in any case, but still, this is something We are lacking
>and i really think this could change the way people look at
>FreeBSD as a desktop Operating System, or even as a better way
>to introduce it, In general.
>
>If anyone has any comments on that, Please do reply.

Is this along the lines of Linuxconf?  I think that they have the right idea
in some respects that it can be run over a telnet session, using an ANSI
terminal.  I was actually going to install RH5.1 this week just to see what
Linux has that is so great compared to FBSD that I am always hearing about.

I think that there needs to be a unified interface for all system
administration, notably:
/etc/sysconfig (I cant remember the new name for it).
ppp
pkg_* and ports

Just these things alone would go very far in reducing  the entry cost of
FBSD.

>Bye, Gilad.

Jay
--