Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 01:40:17 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Parth Malwankar" <parth.malwankar@wipro.com>, "Owner-Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports - source code

On Thursday 03 January 2002 11:49 pm, Parth Malwankar wrote:
> Hello,
> This might be a newbie question.
> I have a 4 CD set for FreeBSD 4.3 by WindRiver. After looking into the
> documentation I tried to extract the source from the CD using 'make
> extract'. It failed saying that it cannot connect to the BSD ftp site. I
> dont have an internet connection. I also tried 'make' and 'make install' in
> various ports folders like emacs but it failed.

Yes, the ports are only "skeletons" that tell how to build software from the
original distribution sites.  The source itself is not distributed with
FreeBSD.  You'll have to install packages instead if you can't get an
internet connection.  It's generally best to install packages for the bulk of
your system anyway, IMHO.  They are much faster and you don't have to worry
about sources being unavailable or any of that.

Porst are better for any software that you actualy want to customize, need to
optimize especially, or *must* build from source, either because of extra
sensitivity to local environment (cfs, for example, *must* be built to be in
sync with the kernel, as I've learned the hard way), or because of licesnsing
restrictions.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org