Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:54:11 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   how to boot from DPT SCSI host adaptor ??

I'm trying to install 4.0 RELEASE in an AST Premium SE 4/50d fitted with
a DPT SCSI host adaptor. This system is SCSI only (hard drives & CD-ROM)
..... there doesn't appear to be any provision for IDE drives. I'm aware
that the
generic kernel doesn't support this thing (attempts to install stall when
its looking
for drives), but DPT cards are listed in both generic & lint files .... so
obviously
there's meant to be some sort of support for them. The problem as I see it
is
essentially a "chicken & egg" one .................. *exactly* how does one
go about
installing the operating system in the first place so that there's a kernel
source
available to edit & compile ??

I guess if DPT support could be somehow configured into the boot floppies
then at least install would be able to see the hard drives & CD-ROM, but
in the absence of any info on that I can't imagine where to start. Another
idea
is maybe try installing via FTP, then the source is on the hard drive &
maybe
once DPT support is compiled in it might be OK on re-booting.

Comments / suggestions / advice anyone ??