Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:15:28 +0200
From:      Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
Cc:        Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com>, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop  OS?)

Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 10:14:51AM -0500, Kenneth Mays wrote:
>
> > Your question brings up an issue that was talked about several times, and it
> > was addressed in the docs and the newsgroup. -STABLE is an engineering
> > development branch that is 'more stable' than -CURRENT, but not more stable
> > than -RELEASE. -STABLE is NOT for end users/customers for official
> > production use (i.e. do so at your own risk).
>
> I wonder why no one says that -STABLE really WAS stable and WAS intended
> for end users less than 2 years ago. Moreover, Hanbook said you
> need -STABLE if you are using FreeBSD in production environment
> and you need stability, Handbook said it even 15 months ago.
> And it has been assetring so for long time, that's where the name
> of this branch came from. Anyone can see that in CVS.
>
> Eugene Grosbein

NOW THAT was making a lot of sense two years ago. Well, MY answer is
that I am very new to FreeBSD so I wouldn't really know the branch
name history but I couldn't agree any more with the old terminology
you are referring too.

PS: I think that this should be a chat thread though.

LEfteris Tsintjelis