Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 11:08:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Paul DuBois <dubois@primate.wisc.edu>
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HyperMail? (was  Re: Interrupt lossage in FreeBSD-current. )

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Paul DuBois wrote:

> Wolfram Schneider writes:
> > Amancio Hasty writes:
> > >Has anyone thought of archiving mail in html format with a tool
> > >similar to Hypermail??
> > >
> > >Hypermail is a mail to html converter.
> >
> > I tried it and gave up. Hypermail is buggy and core'd
> > with large input (> 1000-3000 mails).
>
> I have some patches for hypermail that may help.  Look under:

I figured out how to keep it from crashing (it choked on 8-bit
stuff in headers as I recall) but it doesn't seems to scale very
well.  All told, the various freebsd mailing list archives are a
couple hundred megabytes.  You have to chop the files up into
pretty small (like monthly) chunks for it to be usable but that
is annoying for following threads that cross the break points.
Hypermail just uses the file system for the database which just
doesn't work that well for the sort of use an archive is often
used for.

Still, I'm not happy with the current arrangement (freewais-sf)..
I've found the software to be terribly buggy.  CNIDR's isearch is
better but far to slow to be used on a machine that doesn't have
enough memory to index in one pass.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================