Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 14:49:12 +0200
From:      Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bernd.luevelsmeyer@heitec.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   arp proxy

Hi,

I need to set up an "arp proxy"; at least I think that's what I need.
The situation is: I've got a combined gateway/firewall machine (FreeBSD
4.1-Stable), but my provider declares himself unable to direct my
subnet's traffic to that gateway. Instead, he insists on addressing each
of my machines directly, with individual ARPs for each address. So I
think my gateway machine needs to answer all the ARP requests for my
subnet with its own MAC address, and then forward the IP packets it
receives.

I have tried to enable arpproxy_all in /etc/rc.conf , and I also fumbled
with the 'arp' utility like
  arp -s 1.2.3.4 auto temp pub
for each of my subnet's addresses. Watching the situation with tcpdump,
I got so far as to have my gateway answer the ARP requests with its own
MAC address, and then it would receive the IP packet; but it never
forwarded the packet to the destination machine, apparently it simply
dropped the packet.

Right now I've configured the gateway as a bridge, and that works; but I
don't like that. So, how do I set up an ARP proxy correctly?

thanks,
	Bernd