Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:29:39 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Giving a sighandler more information

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 08:33:32PM -0500, Laurence Berland wrote:

> Followup question: is a sig_atomic_t appropriate to hold the value of
> a FILE * ?

You can always check on your machine with sizeof().  But I think that
in most machines this is true.  I used the following sample program to
check on my box and it shows that (FILE *) and sig_atomic_t have
exactly the same size.

	% cat hello.c
	#include <stdio.h>
	#include <signal.h>

	int main (void)
	{
		printf("%d %d\n", sizeof(FILE *), sizeof(sig_atomic_t));
		return 0;
	}
	% cc hello.c
	% ./a.out
	4 4

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]