Date:      01 Mar 1999 00:16:32 +0100
From:      Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE
To:        "B. D. Clemons" <protocol@techie.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

"B. D. Clemons" <protocol@techie.com> writes:

  > I have but one question; when fully installed (just what comes
  > with the CD's), how much disk space does FreeBSD occupy?

I don't think you really want to install everything that's on the
CDs.  FreeBSD has two parts: one part is the BSD operating system, and
the other part is the ports collection, a number of application
programs to be installed in /usr/local.  You almost certainly don't
want to install all ports, there are just too many of them and a lot
of them do the same thing.  For example, there are a lot of text
editors available, and while you might conceivably have two or three
of them installed, you surely don't want all of them (FreeBSD has a
dozen or so).

Apparently, the system seems to need about 400M, including X11R6.
I've got another 300M of additional application programs in
/usr/local.

kai
--
I like _b_o_t_h kinds of music.