Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 02:18:50 -0500
From:      Kenn Martin <kmartin@infoteam.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: controlling local boot sequence

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 09:37:15PM -0800, Tom wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Kenn Martin wrote:
>
> > The problem we are experiencing is that at boot time, MySQL is being
> > loaded but other packages which depend on MySQL, such as Apache and
> > ICRADIUS, often fail.  These packages are probably starting before MySQL
> > finishes its initialization.  I know the /etc/periodic files are named
>
>   Have you actually determined that is true, or are you just guessing?
>
>   I really doubt that this is your problem.  Apache will always start even
> is MySQL is not running (very easy to test btw).

I know it is true for ICRADIUS and others that use MySQL.  I mis-spoke
on Apache.  The problem we had there was an issue of ldconfig of the
MySQL hints.  The /var/log/radius.log file gives:

Thu Feb  3 00:45:19 2000: Error: Init: Couldn't connect authentication
socket to MySQL server on localhost as radius
Thu Feb  3 00:45:19 2000: Error: Init: Couldn't connect accounting socket
to MySQL server on localhost as radius

Putting a short sleep at the end of the mysql-server script or the
beginning of the radiusd script solves the problem.  Of course, putting
it in the mysql-server script fixes it for more than radius.  I just
don't like using an arbitrary sleep value.  Setting it too low risks
not really fixing the problem and setting it too high just delays the
boot process.

kenn