Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 05:23:22 +1000
From:      "Gary Harris" <gharris@wr.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing packages and mounting DOS.

  I have a 2.2.6 installation working but cannot mount a second IDE hard drive installed under Win95, FAT16. I
have tried mount -t msdos /dev/wd1 /d and mount_msdos... but both return "Device not configured" I did
MAKEDEV wd1, even though it already existed, without improvement. It shows up as a boot option in the boot
manager.

  Is there a way to change the message given by the boot manager for the Win95 boot option? I get:

F1 ??
F2 BSD
F5 disk 2

I'd llike to change ?? to something meaningful.

  I can't get sysinstall to load the packages I have in FreeBSD/packages on a dos partition. It reports not finding
the INDEX file. The same happens loading X, it says the dist is not there. Both folders are present and correctly
named. Both packed and unpacked versions of the X .gz's are there. I'm wondering if the lackof capitalisation is
the problem, due to Win95's limitations. I.e. I get "Index" rather than "INDEX" and "Xf86332" instead of "XF86332".
If I could mount the dos disk I could move the files and use install.sh.

  BSD does not find either of my serial ports during boot. siox are enabled and don't conflict. I can't get the mouse
to respond with any combination of driver and port during install, probably for this reason I now realise. Where are
the siox's?

        Cheers,

             Gary.

   Gary Harris