Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:23:36 +0200
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
To:        Jimmy Lantz <jimmy.lantz@lusidor.com>
Cc:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a bootable CD?

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 12:48:35PM +0200, Jimmy Lantz typed:
> At 11:50 2002-08-21 +0200, you wrote:
> >> I would like to mount some dirs like /etc /tmp /var on disk and the
> >rest on
> >> CD, is it possible,
> >> Last time I tried to move /etc to another disk than / I got into some
> >> trouble, is /etc dependent to be on the same disk as / ?
> >
> >When the root partition is mounted, the /etc/rc script will be executed.
> >Other partitions will be mounted according to /etc/fstab. If you put /etc
> >on a seperate partition you shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> I'm looking for ways to put the rc.conf info then on the harddrive and the
> rest on
> the CD (read use the same CD for more than one server without DHCP),
> and be able to customize the hosts files among other things,
> is this possible without shooting my self in the foot?
> TIA
> Jim.

What I usually do is put all the configuration stuff that needs to be
writeable in a partition that gets mounted on /etc/local and include
these files from the read-only /etc. For example, you can put

[ -r /etc/local/myrc.conf ] && . /etc/local/myrc.conf

As last line in /etc/rc.conf