Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 11:42:26 +0200 (SAT)
From:      "Andre Sachs [Staff]" <asachs@iafrica.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Booting SCSI first over IDE

Hi All,

I'm running 2.2-RELEASE.

I have an AHA2940 with a Seagate SCSI drive and a Seagate IDE drive. When
I enable the IDE drive in the BIOS, (after BS-OS to boot off the SCSI)
the kernel panics because it can't mount / on sd1. Fair enough recompile
the kernel to mount root on sd1 and it fails again. Vexing.

I even tryed changing the fstab to reflect sd1. Failed again.

I have heard that it is possible to force the IDE to slave using the cable
select option, is this the only solution? If so could a kind soul point me
to the instructions for wiring a cable select bus cable?

Basically i would like to boot the SCSI as my primary and the use a boot
manager to get at the IDE for Windoze.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
  Andre

     - Andre Sachs UUNET Internet Africa National Support Centre  -