Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:06:22 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, qa@FreeBSD.org, marcel@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cputype=486

Larry Rosenman wrote:

> > No, that's not wrong. Just think about it for a moment. You need to
> > build cross tools first. Those must run on the build machine. You
> > therefore build those exactly as you build anything else: you use the
> > libraries on that machine. After you have built your cross tools, you
> > can start building non-native libraries, against which you link the
> > final non-native binaries.
>
> So what you are saying is cross build HOSTS have to suffer in performance
> while they are being used as the HOST?  Why should this be?

No, what I'm saying is that if you have highly optimized code that
includes CPU specific instructions, you'd better run them on compatible
CPUs only.

> In this case the make buildworld was done on a HOST that was built
> -march=pentiumpro, the make flags for the new build were with NO -march
> (or with -m486), and then the make installworld dies with the SIGNAL 4,
> on a PPRO instruction in whatever strip binary is run from install.  This
> seems VERY wrong if we are going to support cross-environment builds AT
> ALL.

No, it isn't wrong. You basicly introduce a third machine into the
equation:

1. The build machine,
2. The target machine,
3. the install machine.

In your case 1 is incompatible with 3. We don't support that (yet?).
Make sure your installation machine is compatible with your build
machine. The best approach is to make you install machine the same as
your build machine and install over NFS to the target machine.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org