Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:58:07 +0000
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@ridecharge.com>, ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RF vs GITHUB and ports trouble

Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> You can hardly do something with this.  If the
> upstream projects doesn't make releases, you
> as a maintainer need to figure out what are
> the right branch points are (when the project
> is most stable), make snapshot of the tree
> and upload it somewhere, where the port can
> find it.
So lets say I'm a project on git hub and I do --
$ git tag v2.3.6

but I never generate an actual .gem or .tgz or whatever package.
You think I should make 36 of them myself, and host them on a mirrored
network somewhere? I highly doubt most non committers are up to that task.

Rather, we should figure out how to 'checkout/download' that tag/branch
and assemble it into [a in this case .gem] package so the existing ports
framework can use it.

>> As gems move from RF to GITHUB, we're going to have lots of problems.
>> I.E www/rails which I can't update to 2.3.5 until this is resolved.
>> This certainly doesn't work with USE_RUBYGEMS and it doesn't even work
>> without it.  Additionally, it doesn't work with the gem command (gem18
>> in this case).
Well in this case I can download this but what am I going to with it --

$ fetch http://github.com/rails/rails/tarball/v2.3.5

*that* is the actual 2.3.5 release and the way it is distributed.  And
thats the one lucky enough to get a 'tag' *and* 'release'.

Github has 1000s of projects.

>> Finally MASTER_SITES_GITHUB and GITHUB macro will need to go into
>> bsd.sites.mk.

To avoid typing MASTER_SITES=	http://gitbub.com/...    into 100s of
Makefile s it should get a MASTER_SITES_GITHUB and a corresponding
GITHUB macro (just like MASTER_SITES_RUBYFORGE and RF)

P.S.
   I bring this up on ruby b/c 99% of it uses git and thus github.

VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.