Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > > Note also that FreeBSD can easily saturate 100 Mbps Ethernet.
> >
> >         It meets the spec when shipped but the bends, curves, temperature
> > and other factors do affect the performance.  I guess a good way to test
> > the cable is with FreeBSD since it's the only real OS I've seen that can
> > do like real world speeds.  The only thing is that has anyone really saw
> > 12 Megabytes/sec Full Duplex under FreeBSD?
>
> There again, any network installer worth their salt will test the cable when
> in-situ, after the 'dust' has settled...

	Testing after the dust has settled and while it is in use is
different since conditions do change.  The testers only tests for
continuity, not the impedance or any other electrical properties of the
cable.

> Fastest I've seen on my setup (doing anything useful) is around 9Mb/sec going
> from my WinNT box (with Intel Pro 100B) to my FreeBSD -current box (also with
> Pro 100B).

	Hmmm, how large of a file do you have to transfer to see the max
speed?

> So far, transfers from FreeBSD to WinNT are _always_ slower than transfers
> from WinNT to FreeBSD - which considering the hardware and write-overhead etc.
> - you would have though the opposite should be true... I guess NT ain't a
> great operating system after all... <no kidding? :)>

	What about from FreeBSD to FreeBSD? =)

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]