Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:08:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        so@server.i-clue.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-boot problem..

Christoph Sold wrote
>> Steve Jorgensen wrote:
>> >         I installed FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE as of July 11, on
>> >         my new Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop, and I'm having
>> >         trouble getting the multiboot menu working.  I've
>> >         tried both the standard FreeBSD boot menu and
>> >         the OS-BS boot menu.  OS-BS reports "missing operating
>> >         system" when I try to boot it, and the FreeBSD one just
>> >         beeps at me (no error message at all)
>> >
>> >         My disk is sliced as follows:
>> >
>> >         11GB windows slice
>> >         17GB FreeBSD slice with following partitions
>> >          - 64meg /
>> >          - 512meg swap
>> >          - 4 meg /usr
>> >          - 4 meg /data
>> >
>> >         I am able to boot by booting from my 4.0 CD, then
>> >         switching the currdev to my harddisk before
>> >         letting it boot the kernel.  However, this is
>> >         really annoying.  Did I mess something up when
>> >         I installed FreeBSD?  Did I miss a config line
>> >         in one of the conf files in /boot?
>> >
>> >         Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> AFAIR most BIOSes won't boot anything beyond the very first GB of you
>> hard drive. Multi-Boot is a pain, but the cause is brain-dead BIOS
>> conventions.

	I didn't realize that, on my other machine I always split it
	up between multiple disks.. :(  So if what you're saying is
	true, could I create a / partition first on the disk, followed
	by the windows partition, and then the rest of the FreeBSD
	partitions?  I hesitate to do that unless someone knows it's
	going to work, as I have just about got the thing set up
	the way I like under FreeBSD..

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com