Date:      	Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:04:25 +0100
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <gelderen@mediaport.org>
To:        "jack" <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Annoying messages on startup..

From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
>I don't like this error much either (especially since it generates
>tech support questions on USENET and other places from users going
>"Aieee!  What does this mean?!")

<aol>me too</aol>

Question is what to do about the messages. I can think of a few options:

1. move them to verbose mode. There are more drivers that spew this kind of
message in verbose mode.
2. handle them trough the quirk mechanism. I was told that this would cause
kernel-bloat but that might be remedied by using a more compact format (now
17 bytes per entry) for the quirk table and/or allowing the quirk table to
be paged out (if possible?)
3. issue them only when the driver expects it to be a quirk. There are a lot
of drives that will cause the openings to run down to a certain number and
stay there. Don't issue a warning when the number stays above ??.
4. adjust the number of tagged openings on boot. Simply issue a lot of
tagged openings and adjust the number appropriately. This would look very
nice:

da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <CONNER CFP4207S  4.28GB 1524> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 5.0MB/s transfers (5.0MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled (31
concurrent transactions)
da0: 4096MB (8388608 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 522C)

or, if you want to do something about the formatting of the boot msgs:

da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    <CONNER CFP4207S  4.28GB 1524> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    5.0MB/s transfers (5.0MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled (31
concurrent transactions)
    4096MB (8388608 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 522C)

A combination of these ideas might do. Basically you want to get rid of the
warnings when there's nothing wrong with the hardware.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know much about CAM so please don't shoot me if this is
nonsense...

Cheers,
Jeroen
--