Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:47:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        tom@mercia.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why does xemacs and netscape take five minuits to start?

On Wednesday, 29 July 1998 at 22:53:43 -0700, Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> last week I was trying to set-up stand alone DNS on my machine and
> something happened.
>
> The 'sendmail' daemon takes ages to start at boot up, and xemacs and
> netsacpe take five minuits to start in X.
>
> Any ideas would be welcomed.

When I see subject lines like this, the first thing I think of is
"DNS".  Since you have been working on DNS at the time, I'd bet any
money that you've done something wrong.  Try this:

# nslookup
Default Server:  localhost.lemis.com
Address:  127.0.0.1

> localhost
Server:  localhost.lemis.com
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    localhost.lemis.com
Address:  127.0.0.1

> 127.1
Server:  localhost.lemis.com
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    localhost.lemis.com
Address:  127.0.0.1

You won't get lemis.com, of course, but the rest should look the same.

Greg