Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:40:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To track or not to track

> I just wanted to get pros and cons for tracking the whole port tree on a
> production server.
>
> Any opinions?

Tracking it isn't going to take a lot of space.  Although if it's a
serious production server (as opposed to my "home" production server :-) I
don't know if I'd install ports on it before I'd done it somewhere else
first.

For me... I've found having a jail 'sandbox' setup is a great way to
install ports, test, make packages, then install those packages on my
production box.

-philip