Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 00:10:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au (David Dawes)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape annoying dialog boxes

> Netscape doesn't use libXaw anyway (why would a Motif application use
> the Athena Widgets?).  ldd confirms this.

Well, then Nate isn't having the error.  8-) 8-).

> Did you re-run xrdb after editing your .Xdefaults.  If you didn't,
> that might explain it.  Brian said that he did, and it worked for him.
> To confirm that the change has taken, check the output of 'xrdb -query'.

If Nate is sane, he doesn't run xrdb; I certainly don't.  It's too
hard to handle the middle case.  IMO, the .Xdefaults and the xrdb
are frequently treated as completely seperate namespaces; both must
be searched by apps (I *know* Motif searched both).

This leads me to a question... if Nate dies run "xrdb -query", and
gets back some crap, it may be his XDM that's screwing him up.  Is
Brian using XDM for login?  XDM uses Xaw, right?

At this point I'm kind of grasping at straws to try and expain by
proxy the differences between Brian and Nate's environments, so
it's probably time for them to get together offline and me to
quit grasping.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---