Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:26:36 -0800
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

> Hm, I know few people who think twice before choosing FreeBSD for
> their needs. They think versions change too fast. For some this is
> a sign of bad stability (heh...) others just scared of necessity of
> following the releases.

Then they are, really, people who are making their decisions
with no regard to facts, which is not the problem of the
FreeBSD programmers to fix. -stable is just that, stable.
FreeBSD doesn't do a release every three months because it
crashes if they don't, they do it because there are new features
moved in that have been tested enough to be considered safe for
a production environment. You can't have progress while not
having releases to add the functionality. If the people you
discuss cannot realise that, then either you need to correct
them and explain why there are 'many' versions of FreeBSD, or
else cater to their fears, insecurities, and rash judgements
and install NT or Solaris, which have new 'versions' rarely,
but have many patches to fix their problems.

Jamie