Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:46:11 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Ricardo Stewart" <ricardo_stewart@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Networking FreeBSD 2.2.7 w/3Com 3C509b

>I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.7 on a Pentium 300 using a 3com 3C509B
>Etherlink III network card.  My rc.conf file has it properly configured
>(ifconfig_ep0="inet myIPaddress netmask 255.255.255.0"), but I can only
>ping my host ip.
>
>The host is connected to another host via a hub, but the indicator
>lights on the hub are not lit.  This, to me indicates that the network
>card is not configured correctly...

I'm using a 3c509b with no trouble.

When you enter the command "ifconfig -a" do you get a line along the lines
of:
    "ep0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500..."?
If you do, then the card is OK in FreeBSD, and the trouble lies elsewhere.

Check the LED on the NIC (visible from the back of the computer). If it's
lit up, but the LED on the hub isn't, you may have a bad cable (or a bad
port on the hub, try a different jack).

If the LED on the card is not lit up, and there's no ep0 line in the
"ifconfig -a" output, use the EtherDisk software that came with the card
(you'll have to boot DOS from a floppy) to check that the card is configured
properly. The FreeBSD 2.2.7 GENERIC kernal expects to find the card on IRQ
10 and I/O port 0x300. I had to juggle a couple of IRQ's to set my system up
(my PCI controller had IRQ 10, but I was able to move it to IRQ 11 in system
setup, thus freeing IRQ 10 for the 3c509b card).

>I've read some BSD news articles that state that FreeBSD 2.2.7 does not
>support the 3C509b card

You're thinking of the 3c905b. Confusing nomenclature on 3Com's part.

Good luck,

--Dan