Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:30:29 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Victor Carranza <victorc@BitSmart.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd on the Alpha...

On Thursday,  4 February 1999 at 10:34:02 -0600, Victor Carranza wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> My boss gave me a DEC AlphaServer 400 4/233, and instructed me to throw
> away Digital Unix and to install Linux or FreeBSD. Of course, I want to
> put FreeBSD on it, but I haven't found any instructions on how to begin
> the installation process. RedHat Linux has a very understandable
> tutorial about that (but heck, I don't know what is the code name for
> this machine in particular, so I don't know what version of the loader
> to install). Anyway, I want FreeBSD, not Linux... so, please somebody
> tell me where to look for information about this matter, besides the
> FreeeBSD/Alpha pages.

I'm working on an addendum for the next reprint of The Complete
FreeBSD.  This is what I currently have on the subject.  Please let me
know what's missing, and I'll make sure that it's in the printed
version (and send you a copy too).

Greg

Support for Compaq/DEC Alpha Processor
______________________________________

Support  for  Compaq  (previously  Digital  Equipment  Corporation  or DEC) AXP
processors and Alpha systems was introduced with FreeBSD 3.0.  FreeBSD requires
the  same  SRM console firmware as Digital UNIX.  It will not work with the ARC
firmware used with Microsoft NT.  If your system is currently  running  Digital
UNIX,  then  you  should  be able to use the existing SRM console.  You can get
firmware updates from
ftp://gatekeeper.digital.com/pub/Digital/Alpha/firmware.   Note  that  the  SRM
firmware  is  board-specific,  so  take  care  to  choose the correct file that
matches your exact system: near enough is not good enough!  Unfortunately, some
Alpha systems do not support the SRM firmware.  You cannot run FreeBSD on these
systems.

The SRM console commands differ from one  version  to  another.   The  commands
supported by your version are described in the hardware manual that was shipped
with your system.   The  console  help  command  lists  all  supported  console
commands.   If  your  system  has been set to boot automatically, you must type
Ctrl-C to interrupt the boot process and get to the SRM console  prompt  (>>>).
If the system is not set to boot automatically, it will display the SRM console
prompt after performing system checks.

All SRM console versions support the set and show  commands  which  operate  on
environment variables that are stored in non-volatile memory.  The show command
lists all environment variables, including those that are read-only.

The SRM console boot command has the following syntax:

b[oot] -fl flags -fi filename boot_device

These parameters have the following meaning:

o flags is a string that is passed to the operating  system.   If  it  contains
  spaces, you must surround it with double quotes.  When booting FreeBSD, these
  are the boot flags.  For example, setting flags to s instructs the kernel  to
  boot  to  single  user  mode.   See  boot(8)  for more details.  If the flags
  parameter is not defined in the boot command, the value defaults to the value
  of the boot_osflags environment variable.

o filename  is  the  name  of  the  file  to load, usually the operating system
  kernel.  When booting FreeBSD, set filename to kernel or  omit  the  filename
  parameter to boot from the default kernel.

o boot_device  is  the  device  name (such as dka100).  Your hardware reference
  manual describes the device naming convention used in your  system.   If  the
  boot_device  parameter is not defined in the boot command, the value defaults
  to the value of the bootdef_dev environment variable.

If your system was previously set to boot automatically, the following  command
should cause the power up sequence stop at the SRM console prompt:

set auto_action 3

The SRM console show device command lists the system devices that were detected
during the power up checks.  If you want to install FreeBSD from  a  CD-ROM  or
floppy  disk,  the  device  must be listed in the device list.  To install from
that device, just type:

boot device_name

at the SRM console prompt.  From this point on, the rest of the installation is
the same as for the Intel architecture.