Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 12:21:45 -0700
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom Watchdog Time-out Bug

oberman@es.net said:
>What I wonder is why it's a problem for you?  I use DHCP exclusively to
>configure my network on my laptop as it moves between three different
>nets on a regular basis. While I see the timeout messages every time
>the card starts, it has never effected DHCP operation.

It seems to cause dhclient to fail every time.  It goes from sending the hooks
scripts a PREINIT command before the time-out to sending a FAIL afterword.

>What DHCP server are you using?

I'm told we're using an ISC DHCP server.  I'm using the /sbin/dhclient that
comes with 4.3 STABLE.

>How are your pccard.conf, rc.conf, and dhclient.conf set up?

PCCARD.CONF:
	io	0x240-0x360
	irq	11 15
	memory	0xd4000  96k

	# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
	card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
		config 0x1 "ep" ?
		insert /sbin/dhclient $device
		remove /usr/local/etc/ip-down $device

	# Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
	card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/IEEE"
		config	0x1 "wi" ?
		insert /sbin/dhclient $device
		remove /usr/local/etc/ip-down $device

	# Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100
	card "Xircom" "CreditCard 10/100"
		config 0x1 "xe" ?
		insert /sbin/dhclient $device
		remove /usr/local/etc/ip-down $device

RC.CONF:
	hostname="floater.nas.nasa.gov"
	linux_enable="YES"
	lpd_enable="YES"
	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_flags="-3"
	nfs_client_enable="YES"
	pccard_conf="/etc/pccard.conf"
	pccard_enable="YES"
	pccard_ifconfig="inet 129.99.32.24 netmask 255.255.255.0"

DHCLIETN.CONF:
	interface "ep0" {
		send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:60:8:89:82:6c;
	}
	interface "wi0" {
		send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:2:2d:27:02:f3;
	}
	interface "xe0" {
		send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:80:c7:5b:b5:c5;
	}
	request broadcast-address, dhcp-lease-time, dhcp-renewal-time,
		dhcp-rebinding-time, domain-name, domain-name-servers,
		host-name, ntp-servers, routers, static-routes, subnet-mask;
	require broadcast-address, dhcp-lease-time, domain-name,
		domain-name-servers, host-name, routers, subnet-mask;
	retry	3600;
	send	host-name 46:4c:4f:41:54:45:52:0;

Our respective rc.conf files are different.  My pccard_ifconfig is left over
from before I began my recent attempts to use DHCP, but that shouldn't matter
because I don't use the /etc/pccard_ether script either.  My ip-down script
just makes sure that my ntp daemon, my local caching name server, and my SSH
daemon are all killed when the network card is removed.

I'm trying to make the machine work both on a net where it has a static
address, and on DHCP connections, and I'm doing that with the hooks scripts.
So far, everything seems to work fine with the 3Com and Lucent cards, but not
with the Xircom.

Incidently, pccardd has always been a little flakey about cards already in the
machine when it boots.  Would 'pccardd_flags="-z"' in rc.conf take care of
that?
--
M/S 258-5                     | 1024-bit PGP fingerprint: | tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center     |  41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59 |      (650) 604-4416