Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 00:02:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alex.Boisvert" <boia01@gel.usherb.ca>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
Subject:   Re: What can we do about Java?

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

> > I have Sun's JDK 1.1.2 running on my system now.  It's "fairly stable"
> > with respect to Keith White's JDK 1.1 port.
>
> Meaning it's more or less stable than the K.White port, or the same?

In general, I think it's more stable...  (What kind of answer did you
expect from the guy who did it? ;-)

> > I will be getting a Motif 2.0 license in the next few days (it's in the
> > mail).  Then, I'll be able to test threads using HotJava Browser, which I
> > can't run now because of bugs in Lesstif (presumably).
>
> Cool.  I have SRI pay for a copy of Motif 1.2 so I could develop it.
> I'm not sure 2.0 will work. :(

Isn't Motif 2.0 backward compatible?

> > As soon as I can get HotJava to run, I will release my port.  So you can
> > expect a release soon...  (Before Chrismas?)
>
> I'd be very interested in your diffs.

In their current state, the diffs are scary since I have played around in
many places in the code+makefiles.  With all due respect, I will have to
go over the diffs to filter out my little sandbox action before
publishing them.  After all, I have a reputation to protect ;-)

> Agreed.  JDK 1.1.5 is due out RSN, and JDK 1.1.6 is supposed to be out
> late this year/early next year.  (Not sure if I would take those dates
> to the bank though.)  I don't expect to see anything w/regard to JDK 1.2
> until April/May next year.

What would be good is to get together a ""Team Java-FreeBSD" and
standardize on some _specific_ JDK release.  This way, we can all work
together.  Many people have JDK 1.1.4 in their hands now, maybe that
would be a good starting ("freeze") point?  Perhaps we can wait for 1.1.5
if it's released in early Q1'98.

Alex.