Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 07:24:15 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Randy Philipp <cphilipp@pop500.gsfc.nasa.gov>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Neomagic chipset - is it a hardware problem ?

> I've found out more about this flickering problem.... it only occurs
> when the laptop is physically warm - the warmer, the more flickering.
> If the machine sleeps for ~15 minutes, it'll wake up with a perfect
> picture and that picture will start to deteriorate with the building
> heat.  If I switch the display off for 15 minutes it makes no
> difference.
>
> This is all  under load.  If the machine is idle it lasts a lot
> longer (the fan is more effective I guess....)
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem ?  I'm pretty much convinced that
> it's a hardware problem now, so I'll probably return the machine
> (second time) nearer the end of the week.

I've seen similar symptoms on a Toshiba using the C&T 65555.  The part
would misbehave so badly that the X server would crash.

Windows worked OK on it though; my hypothesis was just that the X
driver wasn't doing whatever power management stuff the Windows driver
was, and so the chip was overheating.  I could be way off on that
though; I know nothing about the C&T architecture.