Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:45:08 -0500
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj1066@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Host name question

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 11:18 am, Bill Schmitt (SW) wrote:
> Alexey Karguine wrote:
> > Bill Schmitt wrote:
> >>   Well, every other computer on the network is listed as an
> >> "attached device" except the FBSD box. And, when I've booted
> >> Knoppix in the past, it showed up, too.

What are the operating systems of the other computers? Is this your
own personal lan? I use a Linksys router, the only things that show
up are ip's that it has supplied dynamically. If a box is using a
static ip, it wont show up on the router. If it's a FBSD box, just
the ip shows up, if it's a Win box, the ip and copmuter name will
show up. I don't think you have to worry about that.

> >>   Also, when I start Apache (2.0) I receive a message "Could
> >> not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
> >> 127.0.0.1 for ServerName.
> >>   Ruben de Groot wrote:

I don't remember exactly, it's been a while since I've had Apache
install and operating, but I seem to remember having to go into the
Apache config file and putting in the the name and ip address.
Someone else can probably tell you better than I can.

> >> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 07:09:49AM -0400, Bill Schmitt (SW)
> >> typed:
> >>

> >> I know I've seen the answer to this question somewhere here,
> >> but I can't seem to find it. I'm running FBSD 4.9 on a machine
> >> which is connected to a router (Netgear) that provides DHCP
> >> services. The FBSD box gets the IP correctly (assigned based
> >> on the MAC address), but the router never sees it by name. I
> >> have the name of the machine in the hosts file and rc.conf,
> >> but the router never gets the name back. Can anyone help?
> >>
> >> What makes you think the router *should* get the name back?
> >
> > Please, show contents of /etc/resolv.conf file on your machine.
>
> Two lines in resolv.conf:
>
> search albyny.adelphia.net
> nameserver 192.168.0.1

You've got 192.168.0.1 listed as a nameserver. Can't be. That's the
ip address of your Netgear router, it acts as a DHCP server not as
a DNS server. What is albyny.adelphia.net? Is that your ISP? You
need to get one or more nameserver ip's from your ISP. That's what
goes in resolv.conf

> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Don