Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 12:49:08 -0800
From:      Tim Uckun <tim@diligence.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Have I been hacked?

I recently installed freebsd 4.5. For various reasons I just let the
install sit for a few weeks. I had turned off everything except ssh (no
other services running).

When I tried to do something the other day I noticed that vi was not
working properly. The screen was all messed up and it would not show the
text file I was working on (on the console text mode). I thought maybe VIM
would work better so I did a cvsup and then did a make install on VIM.  The
install went OK but I still could not edit files because the screen was
fscked up vim. So I did the windows thing and rebooted hoping that would
somehow dislodge whatever gremlins were lurking around the system.

Now I can't log in, not only that but seems to hang up starting the inetd
stuff (I think). I suppose I might have forgotten the password but I doubt it.

So two questions.

1) I am supposing that I will have to get into single user mode somehow and
change the password is that right?

2) How can I find out if I have been hacked somehow? This is what I suspect
so turned off the machine right away. If have been hacked I will have to
reinstall.