Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 11:25:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "/dev/dsp invalid"

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> > grep the src of mpg123 and cecilia for /dev/dsp. i am betting that the
>
> The pity is that there isnt such thing like cecilia source (IMHO).

:-(

'sok, i just picked it as a example 'cause i didnt want to write 'cecilia
and play' over and over again.

> I could grep -R the play source whereever it is.

that would be what i would do. tho, if you dont know exactly where the src
is, googling for 'play' is not going to be as successful as i might
ordinarily expect.

i'd probably search for play linux .wav for starters and see what comes
up.

> Thought that it might be something special with wavs.

oh, i missed that part. or did you fail to specify that? let's make sure
we are on the same page:

you can play mp3's but not wavs?

> The soundcards are both broken ?

probably not. hmm, let me restate that a bit more clearly and honestly:
statistically unlikely. :-)

it's possible that the two souncards have *drivers* that might be a little
below par. but i thought you said that you drove them with sbc and pcm,
correct? if so, then the driver probably isnt a problem either.

hmm, let me ssh over to one of my FreeBSD boxes ( i am at work, so i am
sitting at a linux box )...what do i use to play wavs at home?...have i
ever played wavs at home?...crap, i have a good stash of mp3s and
oggs...no wavs...but, if i where going to play a wav, i'd be trying xmms
first....

ok, so my original suggestion still stands, find the src for play and poke
about.

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life