Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Schwartz <mykes@sportsextra.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: about that strange isntallation problem

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Mike Schwartz wrote:

> Yesterday I wrote this list about a problem I was having installing
> FreeBSD on two different machines (P2 and P150).  Well, turns out
> I found the problem and resolved it.  I e-mail this list in case
> someone else runs into the problem and can use the help.
>
> Turns out both machines had identical monochrome cards that needed to
> be jumpered differently for FreeBSD to work.  These cards cost about
> $15 each and were made in Taiwan (you get the picture :-)  They have
> a feature that I've never seen before called "color emulation" which
> was enabled.  Also, I disabled the parallel port on the card.  I'm
> not sure which of the two jumper changes I made fixed the problem -
> I was just happy to see the systems running FreeBSD :-)

:)  Thanks for the update.  Cheap monochrome cards, betware!

> Also a note...  I originally had Diamond SCSI cards in the machines,
> but FreeBSD only recognized them with the 3.0-SNAP version of the boot
> disk.  The diamond cards have the symbios (NCR) chipset.  I replaced the
> diamond cards with more generic symbios cards that looked almost identical
> from a brief visual inspection, and those work.

The Diamond card has a different PCI vendor/model numbers and the 2.2.2
NCR driver didn't know about them yet.  The changes are in the system and
should be in the next release.

> This is a small error in the data sheet for supported hardware for
> FreeBSD 2.2.2 and under...

It's not as accurate as it should.  The list is growing pretty quickly and
it's hard to keep up sometimes. :)

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo