Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2019 15:48:33 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS for raid

I read here recently that zfs can be used for raid. I'm a neophyte when it
comes to zfs, but I'm thinking about using it for the next server I get.

If you're going to setup drives with zfs for raid, do you need a hardware
controller? My impression is that you don't, but I want to know for sure
before I order a server.

If there's no raid controller, can you setup raid using zfs during the OS
install? If you boot from the cd/dvd, do you get the option to configure
raid using zfs?

Paul Schmehl, Retired
My opinions are my own.