Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 03:32:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jrasins@mindspring.com (J. Rasins)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Since the MicroSloth(tm) jokes have been flowing...

J. Rasins said:

> Admittedly, some of the products are good, and NT does seem to be a good
> OS, but better than anything else?  I just came back from a legal
> conference and it was sad to hear how many firms are buying into the
> everything Microsoft.  <<sigh>>
>
> My personal goal is to see if I can eliminate all Microsoft products from
> my PC, including the OS, yet still be able to use Windows 95 based
> applications if necessary, or where replacements native to the new OS
> aren't available or comparable.  Linux / FreeBSD are first choices with
> each loaded on a machine at home.  Any pointers?

Actually, I think that the "best" solution is to put together a dual
motherboard box.  Network them together with a samba server on the FBSD/Linux
motherboard.  One day, the windows emulators might be good enough to "just
work".  However, this will give you the day-to-day reliability of a U**X clone
providing file and networking services TODAY, with the ability to run
MS-OFFICE (which is the real draw/virus onto the Microsoft platform.)  You can
even dual-boot the 2nd motherboard running the Microsoft based OS, since one
often boots the NT or Win95 system anyway.  Then you can run U**X and X by
default, until you get that ugly Powerpoint file.  One problem with
running WindowsNT and U**X side-by-side, is that it is easy to get used to
being able to heavly load a U**X system -- and then trying to heavily load NT,
and seeing the system hang/crash or whatever (OS Behaving Badly.)  Or worse
(more often), being used to mouse focus on U**X (which I prefer), then getting
frustrated using NT's click-to-focus.  That little utilty that allows tuning
the window manager to change focus method and other things never fully worked
on NT for me (the 95 version worked on 95 though.)

I have been using the Laola package for .doc files to read, decode them, and
store them away in a more sane format.  This at least gives some (a little)
independence from Microsoft tools:

http://wwwwbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~schwartz/pmh/laola.html

--
John