Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:32:45 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        HawkeWerks Multimedia <hawke@hawkewerks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Config Questions

HawkeWerks Multimedia wrote:

> I'm attempting to install a Dual Processor Pentium Pro 200 Motherboard from
> Tyan. I currently only have the 2.1.6 on CD, should I go and get the 3.0
> Snap release? or is there a way that I can configure the kernel in 2.1.6?
>
> Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

>From what I understand you need the 3.0-CURRENT stuff to run a
reasonably stable FreeBSD-SMP.

I have just set up a Tyan Tomcat III with dual p5-150's overclocked to
200mhz, with 128MB of memory.  I am currently using Solaris 2.5.1 on it,
and it feels pretty quick.  I will experiment with the FreeBSD-SMP at
some point in the future.  I don't think it is quite up to production
quality, from what I hear on this list.  I would like to see some *real*
kernel level threads in smp.  We may get there in the next few months.

I wish I could afford dual p6-200's!  :)

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088