Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 11:58:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        robh@imdb.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No disk cache after memory upgrade (2.2/pii-300/512mb)

> #define quoting(Rob Hartill)
> // > Yep... I get the same thing... one of our machines just sits there, always
> // > with free memory.  It's never doing anything (it's rare to see any load at
> // > all) - the same with the others - but their cache fills up and they never
> // > have free memory.
> // >
> // > Bizare eh?
> //
> // Strangely, after about 24 hours of being cache-less, it suddenly came
> // to life again. I'm wondering if it's just not reporting the cache for
> // some unknown reason.
>
> Pay attention to the Active Memory size, and see if it grows with
> disk access.  Disk cache can also be listed as Active Memory.
> I don't know exactly why, but this is most commom if your partitions
> are mounted async.

That is true.  Note that all of your memory is used as a disk cache, if it
isn't used as program memory.  The memory usage is less than your total
available memory only when the system is just started, or a program has
exited (or freed memory), a disk file has been deleted, or a filesystem
is dismounted.

It is hard to tell if you need more memory, but maybe the best measure is
excessive swap pager activity.

John