Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:03:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Paul Gregg <pdgregg@ww-interlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd and more

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Paul Gregg wrote:
> I recently reinstalled 2.2.6 release had been running 2.2.2
> release. I have two ide hard drives.
> a 230 meg and a 1.2 gig. I created a large root file and
> swap file 100 meg each with /usr on the 1 gig drive. I am
> getting lots of swap file errors... unable to clean among
> others.

Bad drive?

> Installed msql 2.0.4.1 using the their installation
> instructions. I only seem to be able to run the msql
> commands from the tkdesk file browser. Attempting to run
> from an xterm window results in command not found. daemon
> starts ok like this, but I dont see any way to do command
> line arguements like msqladmin version, or msqladmin
> createdb. Also trying to install apache with php and it
> halts because it doesnt see msql either.

msql install its binaries in a non-standard place
(/usr/local/Hughes/bin ??), you need to add this to your PATH
or supply the full path name when running these.

> I would like to set this up as a gateway between a our house
> net of registered ip addresses and an inhouse net using the
> unregistered adresses in the 192.168.1.1 range. was hoping
> to make
> this a sort of an online project as others seem to be trying
> to do similar things.

Works fine for this.  Set gateway=YES in rc.conf, enable
IPFIREWALL options and IPDIVERT in your kernel config file, build
a new kernel and run natd.

> The machine is a 486-133 currently with 32 meg ram. I have a
> 3com 3c503 and a 3c509. I havent been able to get the 3c509
> card to work at the 100 meg speed, it seems to recieve ok
> but
> will not transmit on the 100 meg hub. though this is not a
> problem at the moment. both cards work at the 10 meg speed.
> I would like to set it up with minimal firewall protection.

When did the 3c509 become a 100m card?

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com