Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:36:10 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>, Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>, Andy Basler <basaj@internetwis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD?

On Wed, 22 April 1998 at 22:21:57 -0400, Malartre wrote:
> Malartre wrote:
>
>> Studded wrote:

>>>         Berkeley Standard Distribution. It is one of the members of the family
>>> of unix'es. You might find searching your favorite web search engine for
>>> the history of unix interesting. Then again, maybe not. :)
>>>
>> [quoted sig removed]
>>
>> In Greg Lehey's book and in many books, its "Berkeley Software Distribution".
>>
>> Am I wrong?

No, that's what it says in the books.  And it's correct.

> And on www.bsdi.com its Berkeley Software Design!

BSDI is a company.  They're called Berkeley Software Design Inc.  We
don't have anything (much) to do with BSDI, and our abbreviation
stands for Berkeley Software Distribution.

Doug's not alone with the interpretation Berkeley Standard
Distribution.  O'Reilly and Associates, among others, have perpetrated
this incorrect expansion in the past, but they've since corrected it.

Greg