Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2020 09:16:25 -0800
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
To:        Ulrich =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sp=F6rlein?= <uqs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        git@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please review: suggested final merge commit on the legacy repo

--VP4tQn3aA4IokocB

  Ulrich,

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 01:38:10PM +0100, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
U> Hi folks,
U> please have a look at the suggested merge commit, that merges master and
U> main, which should allow folks that have significant work on the old
U> hashes to:
U>
U>   git remote add freebsd-legacy https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-legacy.git && git fetch freebsd-legacy
U>
U>   git merge freebsd-legacy/master  (this should work mostly conflict free
U>   git merge 3cc0c0d66a065554459bd2f9b4f80cc07426464a   (this is the main at the state of what legacy master is)
U>
U> and then they have a shared ancestry (though twice the commits).
U>
U> For rebase based workflows, rebasing onto legacy master should similarly
U> work mostly conflict free, then they should be able to rebase onto
U> 3cc0c0d66a065554459bd2f9b4f80cc07426464a sans any conflicts and finally
U> rebase onto freebsd/main with the usual set of newly introduced
U> conflicts.
U>
U> The wiki still needs updates to the final hashes now, something I'll do
U> at some point.
U>
U> Ideally, we can push this final commit to master before New Years and
U> then we can start mirroring the new main/stable/releng into GH. master
U> will be garbage collected at some future date.

Here is suggested text.

--
Gleb Smirnoff

--VP4tQn3aA4IokocB

commit 11f284b67940bcacb2f618858b901e9254ef5992
Merge: 9e4440ca5ba7 3cc0c0d66a06
Author:     Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
AuthorDate: Wed Dec 23 22:44:48 2020 -0800
Commit:     Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
CommitDate: Sun Dec 27 09:15:53 2020 -0800

                        !!! IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT !!!

    This commit is the last commit to the legacy FreeBSD github mirror, that
    used to import data from official FreeBSD subversion and resided at
    https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd.git.

    The new FreeBSD github mirror imports data from official FreeBSD git. The
    history in the new git tree is different to the legacy one. Thus, if you
    were using the legacy tree to base your work on, you need to migrate.

    This commit merges the legacy tree and the new tree together. This will
    allow you to migrate without rebasing. Once you pulled in this commit
    and merged it to your tree, you need to switch to the new remote and
    from now on merge from it.  The following example assumes your current
    remote for FreeBSD is named 'FreeBSD':

    % git remote rename FreeBSD legacy
    % git remote add FreeBSD anongit@git.freebsd.org:src.git
    % git fetch legacy/master
    % git rev-parse legacy/master   # shall return this commit!
    % git merge legacy/master       # the last merge from legacy
    % git remote delete legacy
    % git fetch FreeBSD/main
    % git merge FreeBSD/main         # the way to merge from now on
    % git gc         # you may want to run this once after the first merge

    Please consult with

    https://github.com/freebsd/git_conv/wiki/Migrating-merge-based-project-from-legacy-git-tree

    for any changes for the above instructions in the future.

--VP4tQn3aA4IokocB--