Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:27:12 +0300
From:      Ville Eerola <ville@vlsi.fi>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/1866: popclient flushes remote mailbox even with local failure

Gary Palmer writes:
>  I think there is another bug with popclient and handling largish
>  (well, more than 10 or so messages) mailboxes. It came back with `bad
>  file descriptor' after 7 or so messages in recent testing locally
>  (against the qpopper in ports). I haven't had time to get into it with
>  gdb and find the problem yet.

Hello!

Why don't you guys try fetchmail. I have ported it to FreeBSD, and it
handles just fine retrieving 20 mails in one pass ;-) It has already
been included in the ports collection thanks to Masafumi NAKANE.

>From the README:
> The fetchmail program was originally authored (under the name
> popclient) by Carl Harris <ceharris@mal.com>. Eric S. Raymond,
> <esr@thyrsus.com> took over development in June 1996 and subsequently
> renamed the program `fetchmail' to reflect the addition of IMAP
> support.  See the distribution files NEWS for detailed information on
> recent changes and NOTES for design notes.

Stefan Esser found a small bug in it (related to a long hostname and
sendmail delivery), which is already forwarded to the author who
(hopefully) will include it to the next release due to soon.

>  Gary

Regards, Ville

--
Ville.Eerola@vlsi.fi	VLSI Solution Oy