Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 23:25:46 +0200
From:      Jordi Espasa Clofent <jespasac@minibofh.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Regenerate ports tree from installed ports?

Hi all,

I suppose it's a dumb (and crazy) question, but as post subject says:
żIs it possible to regenerate the /usr/ports tree _from_ the installed
ports?

Let's me to explain. I've a lot of production servers with 6.2 and 6.3
version, and I wanna update them to new 7.x branch. I'll use the
'traditional' method (cvsup, make buildworld, make kernel...etc) instead
the new binary method (freebsd-update) because of I've a customized
kernel in these boxes.

Until that point, it's all right. But everybody knows that you have to
recompile all your installed ports after the kernel and userland
upgrade, to re-link the new libraries and disappeared ones. But in my
case, these boxes are used as shared web-hostings, and a lot of
particularities are present. Change the php version, for example, can
means that tens of webs not work fine.

If I would have a perfect ports tree it would be easy: simple recompile
all the ports with portupgrade; but the nasty reality is that I'm not
sure that the present ports tree is the identical mirror of installed
ports. Even there are more possibilities that ports tree is more updated
than the majority of installed ports.

So, the only way I can see is the next:

* update buildworld and kernel
* remove /usr/ports
* regenerate the /usr/ports from _installed_ ports
* recompile all ports in new kernel/userland

żIs it possible? Please, be polite if I'm saying a stupid things
:P

--
Thanks,
Jordi Espasa Clofent