Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 13:41:48 +0200
From:      Mike Crawfurd <mike.crawfurd@cmg.nl>
To:        Marty Landman <marty@ulster.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a question ;O)

Dear Marty,

Marty Landman wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I'm unclear about something though.  I've
> downloaded the apache.exe which is supposed to be the windoze version...
> the tar files are for unix, right?

The exe files are indeed for windows-based hosts (since Unix based
operating systems don't coorperate with .exe files :).

> Also, what exactly does apache do?  tcp/ip?

Apache listens on port 80 of the TCP/IP stack (the HTTP port) and
provides documents to users, devices that connect to port 80. Apache is
a webserver.
If you want to have a stable easy to understand webserver for windows,
use Xitami (I use it myself for Windows, though I use Apache for
FreeBSD).

You can find Xitami on http://www.imatrix.com

> what exactly does freebds do?          provide a unix clone os?

FreeBSD is a Unix variant of Berkeley and runs as a seperate operating
system on various platforms (e.g. Intel-based and DEC-Alpha). FreeBSD is
a very stable OS with many applications.
Personal I think its the best OS around, but then again... my opion is
personal and like all things in life, it's relative...

FreeBSD isn't the easiest OS to learn (as is it to learn any Unix based
OS), but when you do, it's fun to work with.

Take my advise and buy a Complete FreeBSD book + CD-ROMS :-)

> Don't mind me, I just asked a couple of questions and am getting a
> couple dozen answers!

A fool can ask more than many wise people can answer... but sometimes
the wise like to reply messages to make them feel better about
themselves (I'm one of those ppl *GNA* :*P )

> Appreciate your time.

I've had no Winddoz probs yet today, so I'm spending time picking my
nose...

--
TIA & TTUL,

Mike Crawfurd.

		-- Life is just another process that can be killed!
				Mike Crawfurd 1996.

Mike Crawfurd                          Telephone. (+31) 10 253 7000
CMG Advanced Technologies Industries   Telefax.   (+31) 10 253 7033
Kralingseweg 241, 3062 CE Rotterdam    Mobile.    (+31) 65 534 7574
The Netherlands                        Email.     mike.crawfurd@cmg.nl