Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 17:43:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ruddy ROOT <root@jules.res.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   passwd weirdness?

Hi, I did a make world last Sunday from a 2.2.5 system...  Everything ran
fine, I installed it, then built a new kernel.  After reboot, I went
through & (to my belief) updated all of the files...  But I am pretty sure
that I did something wrong, because some commands are messed up that
return user names - like last and w (I haven't noticed any others...)

for instance, here are a few lines from last
3                `tJ5ttyp                  Wed Dec 31 19:00   still logged in
3                rI5ttyp                  Wed Dec 31 19:00   still logged in
1               iI5ttyp                  Wed Dec 31 19:00   still logged in
2                `iI5ttyp                  Wed Dec 31 19:00   still logged in

and w will include something like this after i open up my first xterm...
 6:39PM  up 1 day,  3:03, 3 users, load averages: 0.02, 0.04, 0.04
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
root             v0       -                Thu03PM     - -tcsh (tcsh)
root             v1       -                 6:39PM     - -tcsh (tcsh)
ttyp0                     :0.0              6:39PM 27:02 -

and after 2 or more...
w: /dev//root: No such file or directory

Everything looks fine from the virtual consoles, but once shells start
opening up under X (I haven't seen it happen on any remote connections
yet...) stuff starts getting messed up...

When I did the upgrade, I left the passwd file intact, since I didn't want
to have to add everybody back.  I have changed spwd.db and pwd.db but left
passwd alone, remade the passwd database, and rebooted, but the problem
continued...

could somebody also point me into an explanation of how the password files
are handled, I've always wondered, but I've obviously never seen an
explanation... (of course, i've not read any of the BSD books yet either).

thanks,
Greg