Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:16:56 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARG!!! 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostnam

Ted Mittelstaedt:

 |>Seeing how that is the default sendmail config, it locks all but sendmail
 |>hackers and the most persistent users off the FreeBSD lists (newbies can
 |>just forget it).  They can't even mail to the lists to get help with the
 |>problem.
 |
 |This is rubbish.  If you were running Windows you wouldn't have problems -
 |and you know why - because your Windows mail clients relay through the
 |RoadRunner mailserver.
 |
 |It is extremely simple to make your FreeBSD system act like a Windows
 |client ...DS macro in sendmail.cf, it's right under the line that sayd
 |"Smart relay host"

I don't think it's worth a flame war over this.  But to clarify, I was
talking about FreeBSD users, so Windows mail clients is a bit immaterial
(unless they're multibooting, and doing it a bunch, to both configure
FreeBSD and to send mail).

Also, some UNIX mail clients (Netscape Communicator for one I believe) will
ask for the SMTP server to use to relay mail.  So users's are in good stead
there if they opt for those clients.

But many other UNIX mail readers simply invoke the local sendmail to
deliver the message.  This requires DS macro changes or rebuilding
sendmail.cf, not the type of hacking a newbie user will know about.  That
was my point.

 |Your bitch is with RoadRunner, not FreeBSD.

My "bitch" as you put it is not with RoadRunner or FreeBSD (the OS) -- I
like both quite well, thanks -- but rather with the EHLO hostname rejection
rule that has been enabled on FreeBSD's list server.

 |instead of complaining to us, why don't you put your complaints to better
 |use and yell at Time Warner to get some competitive ISP's online asap.

Whatever.  Ensuring all IPs every allocated to users have their very-own
DNS name entry to keep is not an important ISP service.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com