Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:28:55 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
Cc:        jas@flyingfox.COM, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Coredumps and setuids .. interesting..

>Why I posted this is that I though someone said it was fixed in 2.1.6,
>but I was wrong since I noticed (tested) it on 2.1.7 and later and
>it does NOT work there.

   It was sort of fixed in 2.1.6 - coredumps of 'normal' setuid programs are
prevented, but rlogin is a special case that still could coredump (the original
parent can't, but the child it forks can). This was fixed in 2.1.7.

>mail it ... but would rather not :) ...  but seeing that 2.1.7
>has been released, there is no point in worrying about this anymore
>... right ?

   Right. If people chose not to upgrade to 2.1.7, then they've got bigger
security holes to worry about. :-)

-DG

David Greenman