Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 07:25:28 -0400
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Opendx core dumps for me

I'm trying to get opendx 4.2.0 to work, and the binaries from bento
don't work for me.

I seem to have a similar problem to the one "R Laheye" had:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1284201+0+archive/2002/freebsd-ports/20020414.freebsd-ports

where startupui begins but any attempts to do anything result in a
startupui.core.

This is with the newest 4.2.0 port.

First I tried building the port, and startupui coredumps when I try
to open a sample.  I decided to refresh my ports, so I cvs'd ports
as of this Wednesday AM GMT+5 and used portupgrade to rebuild
everything from source that opendx depends on:

+ devel/m4 (m4-1.4_1)
+ devel/autoconf213 (autoconf213-2.13.000227_1)
+ devel/automake14 (automake14-1.4.5)
+ math/netcdf (netcdf-3.5.0)
+ lang/python (python-2.2.1)
+ graphics/jbigkit (jbigkit-1.2)
+ graphics/png (png-1.2.2_4)
+ graphics/lcms (lcms-1.08)
+ devel/libtool (libtool-1.3.4_3)
+ converters/libiconv (libiconv-1.7.0.1)
+ devel/gmake (gmake-3.79.1_1)
+ graphics/jpeg (jpeg-6b_1)
+ graphics/tiff (tiff-3.5.7)
+ devel/pkgconfig (pkgconfig-0.12.0)
+ graphics/hdf (hdf-4.1r5)
+ textproc/libxml2 (libxml2-2.4.21)
+ devel/bison (bison-1.35_1)
+ graphics/libfpx (libfpx-1.2.0.4)
+ print/freetype2 (freetype2-2.0.9)
+ graphics/libwmf (libwmf-0.2.5_1)
+ graphics/Mesa3 (Mesa-3.4.2_2)
+ x11-toolkits/open-motif (open-motif-2.1.30_2)
+ graphics/xpm (xpm-3.4k)
+ graphics/libmpeg2 (libmpeg2-0.2.1)
+ graphics/ImageMagick (ImageMagick-5.4.5.1)
+ graphics/opendx

It still coredumped.  For good luck I upgraded to
"FreeBSD 4.6-RC #2: Wed Jun  5 12:01:18 EDT 2002", I'd been meaning
to test it anyway.  opendx still coredumped.

Finally I copied the binary off of bento (opendx-4.2.0.tgz),
installed it by hand, and it coredumps.

However, if I run /usr/local/dx/bin_freebsd/dxui directly,
it runs and I can run some of my older programs.

I compiled with debugging and tried to get a backtrace.  The stack
is trashed.  Because of that I suspect some pthread misconfiguration.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval