Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:48:27 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Today's kernel doesn't work on (my) DK440LX

> Hi all,
> I had a (mostly) working kernel based on 10 March sources. Today, 'round 2
> PM EST, I sup'd again, and built the world.
>
> I can no longer build a (mostly) working kernel.
>
> My system seems to be dependent on the line:
>
> 	config		kernel  root on da0 swap on generic

The 'generic' keyword causes a search for suitable devices.  Because
the bootstrap doesn't recognise the 'da' device, it passes 0 in as the
boot major.

The kernel recently started trusting this value; you will need to extend
the bootstrap so that it supplies it correctly.

> In my kernel config file.  Especially the 'swap on generic' part.  If I
> take it out, or replace it with anything I have tried so far, my kernel
> doesn't work at all.  If I attempt to boot, the system attempts to change
> root to wd0s2b, and I get a Fatal Trap 12.  Doing a trace says that it is
> happening in _ffs_mount().

This is probably because the disk type on your disk is incorrect.  What
does 'disklabel' say about your boot disk?

> Unfortunately, today's sources don't seem to allow the 'swap on generic'
> anymore.

?  The configuration is disallowed, or this doesn't work anymore?

> Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find any
> documentation as to what "swap on generic" means and what I should replace
> it with.

It's not normally useful, and shouldn't normally be there.  It can help
in situation such as yours.