Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 03:08:46 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@icubed.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vidcontrol help

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:40:31PM -0400, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:
> I'm trying to get a 90x43 display on my consol window.
> I tried everything I could think of but can not get
> any displays except 80x25 and 80x30.  I tried:
> vidcontrol 90x42

Read the man page for vidcontrol(1) where they list the possible modes
and then try 'vidcontrol VGA_90x43' and see if that works.
(It works for me at least.)

It is also possible that your graphics card only supports a few text
modes. There is not much demand for text mode today so many
manufacturers don't bother to do anything fancy.

> and vidcontrol just comes back with some help.
>
> Here is what I've done so far.  Any one know what
> I'm doing wrong? BTW I'm curious why no VESA modes
> are listed below in the "-i mode" output.
>
> I rebuilt a new kernel with:
> options         VGA_WIDTH90
> options         VESA
>
> I added these lines to my /etc/rc.conf:
> font8x8="cp437-8x8.fnt"
> font8x14="cp437-8x14.fnt"
> font8x16="cp437-8x16.fnt"
>
> After a reboot (sorry, old habits are hard to break)
> vidcontrol reports:

[snip]

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>