Date:        Thu, 25 May 2000 19:26:23 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Cc:        dewaz <dewaz@ran.es>, osi@opensource.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what about clauses?

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 12:35:09PM -0400, Russell Nelson wrote:
> dewaz writes:
>  > Hi again!
>  > What I don't understand about changing BSD to propietary is how is that
>  > possible,I mean that if Peter gets the BSD licensed program from Tom
>  > ,and modifies and distributes it, Peter should do it according to the
>  > license that Tom joined the program(BSD)
>  > That license says that Peter can distribute a modified version if he
>  > includes in that distribution the copyright notice,those two clauses and
>  > the disclaimer.Right?
>
> Yup.
>
>  > Thus the new Peter's program gets the second clause which  says that you
>  > can distribute the program with some conditions.Right?
>  > So,Why not Tom could distributes his modified program?
>  > Thanks again for your knowledge and patience.
>
> Good question.  Anybody else know the answer?  License reproduced
> below.  I speculate that it keys off the distinction between "retain"
> and "reproduce".
> -russ

[snip BSD-license]

Those clauses (the BSD-license) do not apply to the modifications that Peter
made. They are distributed under whatever license Peter wants.
So yes, the "BSD-parts" can be distributed freely, but not necessarily any
modifications. (And seperating them can be very difficult since the
distribution might be in binary form only.)