Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:42:25 +0100
From:      Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>
To:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel activity

	Hi Peter and all,

 Thanks for the mails & advices... The box is a dual xeon @3GHz, with
 4GB of ram and raid 5 on board (scsi HDDs), with a 4.9 on it. The
 'tuning' includes removing all the unnecessary stuff from the kernel,
 activating the ACCEPT_FILTERS and tuning some sysctl values,
 especially the ones dealing with network (net.inet.tcp.msl etc.), and
 raising the values for maxfiles and somaxconn, etc. The box has two
 NICs, one of them is a fxp with link0 activated (cannot use polling
 because I don't want to give up SMP -- the userland activity is
 already 40%, so giving up one CPU as to reduce sys load it's just
 gonna leave the bottleneck where it is -- CPU, that is), and the
 other one is an em, but cannot use it since i don't have a gb
 switch. Before activating link0 on fxp, the level of interrups/sec on
 this interface peaked 6k, but after activating link0 it was reduced
 to 2k. Still, a lot of sys activity...

 As a webserver, I run apache, stripped down from the modules that I
 don't need, and compiled in php and some other modules
 (statically). Most of the content that I serve is static, there are
 only a few php scripts and they don't get much hits.

 I don't run any other 'intensive computing' application on the
 server, no firewall software or so. And no, I haven't tried turning
 HTT on and off, should I do that?

 I am also considering trussing one of the apaches, to see what system
 calls it's doing...

 Anyways, thanks for your help,
 bogdan