Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:10:57 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best mount options, tunefs for newsserver

>I'll have to defer this to someone more knowledgable about the
>internals of FreeBSD...

   We didn't have async support in 2.1.0. We had partial support for it in
2.1.5, and full support for it in 2.2/-current. In -current, it should take
only a few seconds to delete /usr/src. :-) (I haven't tried, however) The
ultra-fast async in 2.2/-current also means that it has a much higher chance
of trashing your filesystem if the system should go down before the stuff
is written out...so it's a mixed bag.

-DG

David Greenman