Date:      06 Nov 2002 14:44:16 -0500
From:      "Alex(ander Sendzimir)" <alex@battleface.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I delete /usr/src ?

Yes. However, if you have custom kernel configuration files in
/usr/src/sys/i368/conf, then save them some place safe if you have not
done this already. Then remove with

rm -rf /usr/src/*

This will leave the /usr/src directory.

An alternative is to tar and compress /usr/src with

tar czf /tmp/usr-src-2002.11.05-archive.tar.gz /usr/src

I've given my favorite archive naming convention. You can use it or use
your own. When done, delete /usr/src as above.

You can always CVSup the source again at a later time.

Of course, if you still have concerns that have not been addressed here
or I've gone astray from your original question, then don't delete
anything until you get them answered.

Alex